Followers

Thursday, February 21, 2019

24 - Those Darn Drain Valves

Back in Post 21, I described the problem I had with the little plastic low-point drain valves located under the cook top in the cabinet at floor level. I took both apart and replaced the O-rings. On the first use on our trip to Yuma in December, the valves held pressure, didn't leak through, and didn't cause the water pump to cycle every so often to rebuild pressure.

We are in Oceanside, CA, on Feb. 20, and the valves are leaking. The pump started cycling right after we set up camp. I looked under the coach and the drain line from the cold valve had a steady trickle. I opened and shut and turned the valve handle trying to get the O-ring to seat better and only managed to slow it a bit.

Those valves are going to be replaced. They are not suitable for regular line pressure. There's not much room to work with under there, so it will require some engineering and thinking about what parts would work better, and if I can do it myself. Or maybe hand the problem off to a shop?

These look like a possible solution...  Stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. I have a 2016 Orion Coachmen 24RB and am having the same problem with leaky low point drain valves. Any new suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As mentioned in Post 21, I did replace the O-rings in the drain valves once back in 2018. I have not done anything since then. They have dripped on occasion since then, but for the most part they seem to seal OK. One thing that seems to help is to leave them in the open position when not using the coach so that the rings are relaxed. Then I cycle them a couple of times before adding water and pressurizing, then cycle a couple of times more. I didn't have any leakage in use last year. A suggestion might be to disassemble them and lube the O-rings with silicon grease if the rings are OK. Otherwise, replace the rings along with adding the silicon. All that short of total replacement as I threatened to do but am avoiding so far.

    ReplyDelete