Followers

Monday, October 9, 2017

15 - Maxx Fan & Water Filter

I have also mentioned the omission of a high volume fan like a Fantastic or Maxx fan in the Orion. I had a Fantastic fan in our last Class B, and it was fine. I opted this time for the Maxx fan only because I liked the dual support arms vs. the Fantastic single arm. Probably not that big a deal. I got the most basic manual model just as we had before and it serves our purpose well; mainly, to exhaust air at good volume with multiple speeds from whisper to jet.


Not having a ladder (prior to installation detailed in previous post), and being concerned about running a power supply wire, I engaged a mobile RV technician to help. It was an expensive choice (3 hours charged labor), but I just wasn't confident for this task. The job was pretty straightforward; remove the manual center vent and clean up, run a 12v supply wire, and install and caulk the new fan. Running the 12v wire was the time eater. The Orion has aluminum spar rafters with solid foam between them, the ceiling, and the roof deck material. We opted to get the power from the rear vent bath fan. One spar was immediately to the front of the bath fan, so a hole was drilled in it. A wire probe pushed from the center vent through the foam to the rear didn't hit anything until it hit the rear vent spar, or so we thought. It would have seemed reasonable to push a wire from the rear vent through the drilled hole and aim for the center vent, but that wasn't possible because of interference of the rear wall. So it was a matter of pushing the probe from the center vent and try to hit the drilled hole. It was finally located and the wire pair was pulled through. Connections were made to the rear fan supply and the Maxx fan installation was completed.

This installation was definitely worth it. We have spent many comfortable nights sleeping in warmer weather by turning the fan on to a lower speed and only opening the vent over the bed which brings the cool night air right in on us. Also shown in the picture is the full-length mirror I installed on the bathroom door.

We like to have a water filter for drinking water and coffee and tea. I found a Culligan kit which included a faucet, cartridge filter, connection adapter, and water lines. I drilled a hole through the counter at the right rear of the sink and mounted the faucet. I disconnected the cold supply hose at the faucet and installed the adapter tee, then reconnected the supply hose. I put a reinforcing board behind the panel under the sink and mounted the filter bracket to that. Connecting the lines to the filter, faucet, and adapter was just a matter of cutting to fit and push into the respective connector sockets. I like this filter because it only takes a quarter twist to remove or install it. We never buy bottled water because the filter makes all water we have encountered taste just fine. I use the basic carbon filters, but you can get higher filtration types. Same in our houses.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    We just got our new 2017 Orion, downsized from 20 year old 29’ class C Itasca on a Ford V10. Hoping for better gas mileage and better maneuverability. I’m enjoying your blog very much, especially when you post photos.

    We chose the 2 twin bed/sofa model with plans to replace those hard cushions because we didn’t want to climb into a bed. We just keep the beds made up with sheets and throws and place the bolsters in the cab seats at bed time. We use a round 30” metal folding table that fits perfectly and gets stored behind the passenger seat. I ordered a 3 piece Heatshield window shade set that is specially made for the Transit that I can set up from inside that really blocks the sun and fits and stays in place (thanks to visors and suction cups) perfectly to double as a privacy cover.

    I’ve already taken it back to the dealer for a few minor things, but the big one was the bathroom gfi, must be a recurring issue.

    I have a couple questions when you have the time.
    What can I expect in the mountains? (Like the Sierras or the Tehachapis)
    My husband is very unsure of the towing capacity of such a loaded V6, could you share towing your smart car in a bit more detail?
    Thank you,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. I address my impressions of power and my mileage results in later Posts. Capsule: adequate power. 12.5 mpg loaded, towing, running a/c; 14+ mpg running not towing, no a/c, level.

    ReplyDelete