Followers

Monday, October 9, 2017

12 - Remount Main TV

I previously posted how the main front TV was mounted so low that the "eye" for the remote control was below the line of sight to control the TV while seated. I had to hold the remote up near the bottom of the bed to operate the TV. So, a remount was necessary. I unplugged the TV from the outlet in the right side compartment and then unscrewed 4 mounting screws that were accessible on either side behind the TV. These screws were through a mounting board and into the front wall panel. The TV is pretty light, so I was able to hold it to disconnect the A/V and antenna cables and pull the power cord through and free, and lay the TV aside.

Next, I measured the length of the mounting board attached to the back of the TV and marked two vertical reference lines with masking tape on the front wall panel to the outside of the centered width of the board. I cut two lengths of 2x4 stud lumber to a sufficient length from the joint where the front panel angles back to another panel and down below the original mounting holes. These are spacers to move the TV closer to the front edge of the ledge it sits on as well as raise it a bit. Since all this material is out of sight behind the TV, precision and appearance are not critical. If you stand close at either side of the TV, you can just see the mounting. For that reason, I painted the edges of the mounting board and spacers black.

I glued and screwed the spacers to the forward panel using the tape reference lines to locate them. In preparation to remount the TV, I first installed a 10 inch HDMI extender cable into one of the spare ports on the back of the TV. I previously discovered that the way the TV was mounted, it was impossible to get my hand behind it to plug in an auxiliary HDMI device. The extender cable socket is now accessible at the left side of the TV.

Remounting the TV was a reversal of the removal steps. Route the power cable back to the right compartment, reconnect the A/V and antenna cables, and then position the TV by centering the mounting board in front of the newly installed spacers. Then I drove the original mounting screws through the original mount board holes into the spacers. The spacers added enough distance so the TV sits on the ledge near its front edge with the remote "eye" well exposed to any angle of view. One added detail in the pre-mount sequence was to put a couple of short strips of thin foam insulating tape on the bottom edge of the TV so it wouldn't make contact noise while sitting on the ledge. They don't show from the front. Now I can operate the TV without having to stand up, and I can easily plug in my laptop or Roku via HDMI cable.


No comments:

Post a Comment