Followers

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

38 - Maintenance and Trip Prep and a Disclaimer, October 2022

PLEASE READ MY DISCLAIMER BELOW.

Time for the annual oil change on the Transit came up in September. I decided to go to the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change station near us. I had a less than satisfactory experience at Grease Monkey more than once, so thought I would try the competition. Both stores have entry doors and bays big enough for the Orion, and they use pits to access and service from underneath rather than putting the vehicles on a lift like most dealers use. Valvoline proved to be fine. Very courteous and efficient service, and they didn't try to sell me every filter and wiper blade that I didn't need.

I opted for their top full synthetic oil. The charge was $91 for oil and filter and $16 for labor. Including tax, the total came to about $113. This compares to about $85 I had been paying for the regular semi-synthetic blend oil before. So, not out of line.

I changed the generator oil myself. It is pretty easy and there is no oil filter to deal with. I used a high grade full synthetic oil for motorcycles. I figure that a motorcycle engine is similar to a generator but operates at much higher RPMs and more hours, so should be plenty adequate in this application. Our generator doesn't get much use--barely 35 hours in five years. I am only changing its oil every second year.

We are preparing for our annual migration to Arizona. "Phrynie" has been at the storage location most of our time here in Colorado except for the Yellowstone trip, one weekend getaway, and occasional short trips to exercise her or do some minor maintenance or cleaning. Other than clearing out a few dead bugs that managed to crawl inside, the coach is in fine shape. The battery has been on maintenance charge from the solar all the time and checks out OK. It looks like the weather will hold with no freezing, so I can avoid winterizing the systems before we leave.

I am seeing some cracks in the tires along the sidewall/tread area. I really should put covers over the tires during storage to slow sun exposure. But after losing two sets of covers to winds, I just wasn't motivated to get another set. Undoubtedly dumb thinking considering the cost of covers vs. six new tires. I am told these are surface cracks for now but to keep an eye on them. I will check on my emergency road service plan.

DISCLAIMER:  I should add a strong caveat: all the procedures I do and products I use are working for me. I have selected these based on my own research and experience. I do not intend in any way to recommend to you any product or procedure described in this blog. Do your own research and thinking. Make up your own mind. What you do or prefer is your own responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment