Followers

Thursday, May 3, 2018

18 - April 2018 Weight Check

We made our spring migration from AZ to CO in April. We load all our clothing and food for transfer between our houses, and that was about 6 packing boxes worth. In addition, I pack a couple of bags of tools and other miscellaneous gear that we need wherever we are. So, the Orion is pretty well loaded along with towing the Smart car, plus a tank of fresh water for use during our four day trip. Since this was more heavily loaded than we would normally be, I thought it was time to get a weight check to be sure I wasn't overloading the coach.

I stopped at a CAT truck scale in Willcox, AZ. It was nice to have the 3-segment scale to get separate weights for the Orion front and rear axles and the car. Because I had to get out of the RV to press the call button, I didn't get my own weight added, but the numbers are helpful anyway. Here are the scale weights in pounds compared to the maximum GVWR published for my RV:

                                     Scale               GVWR               Margin

Front axle                     3220                 4130                    910  (740 if I deduct my weight)
Rear axle                      5940                 7275                   1335

Total                            9160                 11300                  2140

Smart car                     1960

Total combined           11120                12300                  1180

I was happily surprised that there is plenty of reserve capacity with our combination. I could load a ton more on the Orion if not towing, or I could tow a car weighing over 1,100 pounds more if desired. Another reason that we didn't seriously consider a Promaster based unit because they only have a 9,600 # GVWR. Just not enough reserve for my comfort.

The trip home was good. We had some strong tail winds and I was showing mid 14 mpg on both gauges, but I never did a hand calculation. The RV is now partially winterized and in storage. I have two 50 watt solar panels and a MPPT charge controller on hand to install in the next few weeks. I also will be changing the generator oil; a bit overdue since it hasn't been changed since purchase in Oct. 2016, but I only have put about 14 hours total on it. Looking forward to some relaxing local camping around Colorado this summer.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks you for the blog posts, I'm considering an Orion and was curious about the tow capacity and how many pounds of gear I'd be able to carry. Looking for something small for full-time travel for about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a new(2019) Orion 24rb owner I enjoy your blog. This is our third rv and the absolute worst for documents on the various systems so I have a lot of questions.

    Like: what is the water valve under the couch for? And which valve controls the low drain?

    We winter in AZ also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with lousy documentation from Forest River. Valves: The low point and tank drain valves are plastic push-closed/pull-open valves located at floor level behind the screw-on panel below the cook top. The water heater bypass valves are under there too toward the rear. The valve under the couch is a shut-off to close the water pump draw from the fresh tank and force the pump to pull anti-freeze from a bottle through the outside port for winterizing. Leave that valve open for normal pumping from the tank. I have written a winterizing procedure. Email me at exlmcose @ gmail.com if I can help you with any other questions. Bob M.

    ReplyDelete