Followers

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

9 - Privacy Cover and Curtain

My Orion came with a very nice vinyl exterior windshield cover. It fits over the windshield and side windows and is held on with embedded magnets. This was intended to be the privacy cover for the cab, as no interior shade or curtain was provided. Three problems became quickly evident. (1) You had to go outside to install the cover, which would not be pleasant if raining or stormy. (2) If you wanted privacy in the daytime, the cover made it very dark inside. (3) The magnets barely held the cover in place and it would blow asunder in any stiff breeze. Time to engineer a solution.

Being in a hurry for our second camping run, I found a couple of bath towels that looked good and together were the right size for an interior curtain. I had some punch-through snaps and eyelets from an old project and installed 8 of them them along one side of the towels which also served to fasten them together for the right length. I fastened 4 S-hooks to the middle 4 eyelets which I hang to the existing sun visor hardware. I put 2 cup hooks above the top rear of each side door to hook the remaining eyelets to. The result is a curtain that covers the front glass but still leaves room to access the cab area. The towels we chose are a bit heavy but still let light filter through and give a bit of insulating value. I should have run them through 3 or 4 more wash cycles though, as I still get a bit of lint every time I handle the curtain. Between uses, I just fold it up and stuff it between the driver's seat and the couch. It only takes a few seconds.

Below - Stock exterior cover


Below - Privacy curtain made from two towels


Below - Arrows point to S-hooks hooked to visor points. Circles are
punch-snaps that fasten the towels together. (Could be sewed, but
don't have sewing machine.)


Below - Right visor hook and rear cup hook attachment.


2 comments:

  1. Still appreciate your blog and am looking forward to more reports... good or bad! Gary Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I intend to be candid.

    ReplyDelete